Saturday 9 August 2014

Trash To Treasure


My Makeup Vanity/Workplace

Recycling Old To New & Making It Your Own

Have you always wanted beautiful furniture or bits and pieces to add to your room/house to make it your own? Well I'm going to tell you about how I picked up some bargains which look like they may have cost an arm and a leg, but really didn't!

Below is a picture of my desk/makeup vanity/workspace- whatever you would like to call it! I have wanted a desk this size with draws for my makeup and a mirror for a really long time and finally created my perfect piece.

Photo is COPYRIGHT-owned by me

So first of all, the white desk is second hand. It was $20 AUD from a lady who recycles old pieces into new, vintage looking pieces. However the desk she was selling was definitely come across at the right time for me, as she didn't have time to do this desk up and I thought, for $20 why not? Unfortunately, I don't have a before photo because I somehow accidentally deleted it :(. But it was a green coloured, chipped, dusty old second hand desk. Basically I sanded it and painted it white, replaced the old, gold door handles, with newer more fitted ones. It has 8 drawers, 4 on each side, and one long drawer in the middle. It cost a little more for the paint and door handles, however was still cheaper than buying one outright exactly like this!

Secondly, the chair- this is also second hand! I picked this up at a second hand store in my local town for only $5 AUD. Definitely an awesome price! Again, the chair was sanded and painted from brown to a nice blue colour to suit, and brighten up my desk. 

The accessories on the desk are also not too pricey. The mirror, is from my local Kmart store and was $19 AUD (and as far as I know, is still available to purchase, www.kmart.com.au/). Other accessories were gifts, but overall it was definitely a cheap-ER way to create a beautiful vanity/desk in my room with a little splash of colour and gorgeous accessories on top. Not to mention all of the storage space with the 9 drawers!

Have you recycled any materials or furniture? Did it turn out as you expected? And was it worth it, cheaper than brand new? I'd really love to hear what kind of DIY tasks you have attempted and/or completed, so feel free to share in the comments below! Also if you have any questions, don't be shy to ask :)


No comments:

Post a Comment